Top Tips for Exhibiting at the Claygate Flower & Village Show
Anyone can enter an exhibit and there really is a class for everyone!
Just follow the rules and you could win a prize!
Cut your flowers the evening before and stand them in water overnight
Choose blooms of an even size with well formed foliage
Vases should be an appropriate size for the exhibit & not easily knocked over
All pot plants must have been grown by the exhibitor, or if purchased, owned for at least three months
Condition: Cleanliness, freshness, tenderness and freedom from coarseness and blemish
Size: Anything overgrown so as to be coarse is faulty, as is anything too small to be useful. Generally, quality is more important than size
Uniformity: In terms of size, shape/form and colour
All vegetables should be arranged on a dish for effect
Root vegetables should be washed but not polished, with tap roots left on.
Onions: Leave 7.5cm/3in of tops, tied with raffia
Shallots: Stage on sand, on a dish, with a little of the top tied over.
Beetroot: Leave 7.5cm/3in stalk, ends sealed with a flame to prevent bleeding, then tied
Tomatoes: Should be ripe but firm, richly coloured with stalks (calyces) attached
Beans: Leave on the little stalks
- Condition: Firm, ripe, unblemished fruit with natural bloom
- Uniformity: In terms of size, shape/form and colour
- Soft Fruit: Present on a dish on a bed of leaves, leave stalks on
- Currants: Present on a dish on a bed of leaves & leaves on their sprigs as grown
- Highest marks are awarded for flavour, followed by external experience.
- No packet mixtures to be used.
- All cooked items should be covered in clear film.
- Cakes and flans should be presented on flat plates or boards & labelled where appropriate.
- Where there are several items, uniform size is important.
- Photographs may be mounted on thin card if wished but must not exceed A4 size. Photographs should not be framed
- For class 233 'A recognisable scene in Claygate, preferably titled. Colour or Black and White. These photos will have a chance to be awarded as an image for the Claygate Scouts Christmas Card
- Pictures must be framed and include a means of hanging eg string. Hooks will be provided.